Wednesday 21 March 2012

Decoupaged Springtime Eggs

It is now officially Spring.
Yeehaw!!!
I have chosen to ignore the foot of snow still outside my door and go ahead with the springish decorating!
For those of you who cringed at my Facebook status last week...it is with joy I tell  you that yesterday I marched outside in complete desperation and yanked all the spruce and pine branches out of all the leftover Christmas decorating in our front yard. I just can't handle hanging a springy, flowery wreath on the front door with evergreen branches, skates and candles right next to the door. Snow or no snow.
Y'know what I mean?


Here is my official start.


Last year I noticed these eggs in a Pier 1 flyer, so I kept it tucked away all year since I knew it would provide some inspiration later on.

I've never really decoupaged anything before, but I thought I'd give it a try and see if I could come up with anything similar to their flowery eggs.


I found these bright, cheery napkins at the Dollar Store and thought they could be fun with their loud colors - a slightly unusual choice for me, but every now and then I like to live on the wild side. I also picked up a package of styrofoam eggs and set to work with my Mod Podge (matte) and a brush.


I really have no idea how to decoupage, so I tried lots of different methods before I found one I was happy with. That method was cutting an oval shaped piece out of the napkin with at least one or two flowers on the piece.


Then applying the Mod Podge to a small section of the egg...


...and then smoothing the piece of napkin down over the Mod Podge. I brushed along the edges to get it to lay down as flat as possible.


It's pretty sticky and the napkin would tear a bit if it got too wet, so I would let it dry in sections in an egg cup, and then continue applying pieces of napkin until it was totally covered. After everything had dried, I applied an all over coat of Mod Podge and then let it dry again.


And there you have it!
I found this little wooden wagon in a craft tote in the basement and thought it would make a cute little container for the eggs.




What spring/Easter decorating have you been up to lately?!
Are you still looking at snowy mounds out your window, or are you happily watching your tulips and daffodils push through the ground?!

----------------------------------------------------------
spring fling party button kate














Feathered Nest Friday



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



Weekend Bloggy Reading

The DIY Show Off

Tip Junkie handmade projects

I Heart Nap Time

UndertheTableandDreaming

To see the other great parties I'm linking up to, click HERE!

37 comments:

  1. Your eggs turned out so pretty and look so nice in the little wagon.
    We don't have any snow here, but have had some rain. Things are starting to turn green and a few things peaking through the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very pretty and I like you photography it is well done.
    Stopping in from artsy girl link party. Tricia @ seekingecochic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cheerful spring-time eggs, so cute. Using napkins is a great idea- I imagine the thinner paper is easier to smooth out than scrapbooking paper would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, they are so pretty, nice work! I thought they were painted til I started reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely!! I did the same project using origami paper. I wouldn't have never thought about napkins but that would work marvelously!! And be so much easier!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!!! I hope you will come link it up to The CSI Project. The challenge is embossing and paper crafts. These are made from paper napkins so it fits the theme. You can link up as many as 3 projects.
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful! I love how you display them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! The pop of color is awesome! I hope you will link these up at my Hippity Hop Easter Project Hop!

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/03/hippity-hop-easter-project-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am visiting via Centsational Girl. I adore your project. So clever!

    Happy day, happy spring, happy happy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember doing this type of craft with my Grandma for christmas ball ornaments. After the last layer of modge podge, we sprinkled the ornament with clear glitter! Thanks for the memories. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try sprinkling the wet eggs with diamond dust or a clear sparkly glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! I love how bright and colorful they are.

    I would love it if you added your eggs to my Easter Inspiration Party!
    http://crafty-kate.blogspot.com/2012/03/easter-inspiration-party.html

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know you could do that .. They came out really nice...and colorful. Following you... Best wishes, Linda

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Easter eggs! Nicely done! Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sweet!Great tutorial! The colors are just wonderful. They look precious in the little cart! Bonnie @ Uncommon ;)

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! They turned out beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw these featured on Centsational Girl and dropped by to pin them. These are gorgeous! I love the bright cheery colors. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning eggs! I so love the brightly colored flowers...so unexpected for an Easter egg!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to have to get my tuckus in gear and get going on some Easter decor C: Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great project! So pretty and colorful and I love it's simplicity. In fact, it's downright cinchy ... and would be perfect at our "It's a Cinch" multi-blog link party. The link stays open until midnight Friday and when you link at one blog, you're automatically linked up to the party's five co-hosts ...

    http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/2012/03/its-cinch-link-party.html

    Hope to see you at the party!

    :)

    Linda

    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness! Love these! So bright and cheery, they immediately caught my eye. Thank you so much for sharing them with us at Inspiration Friday!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your eggs are so darn cute! I love the bright colors. Thanks for showing how you did them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. L O V E this.. Soooo pretty.. I am totally featuring YOU tomorrow via Pin'Inspirational Thursday.. Hope you stop in.. THANKS SO MUCH for linking up last week.. YOU are AWESOME.. Wishing you a perfect week.. xoxo.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really cute! I'm always looking for new ways to decorate eggs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW, this looks so lovely. I would love for you to drop by My Dream Canvas as well :-) I’m visiting from Wow Us Wednesdays. Really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this idea! I think I'll be heading out to my dollar store this weekend to get supplies for this. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute and fun! This looks like something the kids and I can do together for our Easter eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So adorable and easy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a cute idea. New follower and I posted this idea on my facebook page. Love It.

    Lisa

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Creative-Raisins/175822502467779

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute! You did wonderfully for your first time decoupaging!

    Do you still have snow or has it started to melt? Ours is gone at last, although it will be awhile before the flowers start blooming. :)

    ~Steph @ Silver Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  31. Featured these today! ;) have a great Saturday!!

    Bonnie @ Uncommon

    ww.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are beautiful! I have the perfect napkins that I want to try these on! Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring these tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow. You did such a great job and you've never decopaged before. Very impressive. I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have done pretty much the same thing, only I blew out real eggs and the last forever. After I give the eggs the topless layer of midge podge, I sprinkle clear glitter all over it. They are beautiful. I have even done this with my class of special need kids just using cut up pieces if tissue paper. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are so cute and bright! I love them. I put together a post about the Top 10 Easter Egg Tutorials that I've come across and featured yours, and a link to this page, because they seem like something that most people could do. I realize yours are from last year, but cute is cute. LOL. The post can be found at http://claybabies.blogspot.com/ if you want to check it out. If you would rather I take your part down, I will do so.

    Thanks, Erin B. =]

    ReplyDelete
  36. I saw these on Pinterest, they're great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...